Learn to Glide at Bicester Airfield!
Based at Bicester Airfield, just north of Oxford, Windrushers is the
premier gliding centre in Oxfordshire. The club is open to anyone
interested in learning to glide.
- Seven days a week, all year round
- All training to the BGA standards and syllabus
- Training courses based on your personal needs
- Great clubhouse and friendly atmosphere
- An ideal base for visiting glider pilots seeking a cross-country week
or extra training
- Conveniently placed for trips to Oxford or for exploring the Oxfordshire
and Buckinghamshire countryside.
- Close to Banbury, Buckingham, Didcot, Milton Keynes, Northampton, Bedford,
Reading, Aylesbury. Swindon, Birmingham and London via the M40 (just an
hour's drive from north London, about 90 minutes from central and south
London, 45 minutes drive from Birmingham).
- Bicester North station (only 0.8 miles from the airfield) has a direct
rail link (about 48 minutes journey) from London Marylebone, and also
from Birmingham Moor Street - about one hour for the journey
- Learn to glide - almost anyone can!
Course dates for 2014
Take a week-long course, the ideal way to start your
adventures in gliding!
Some nice images, taken by a recent visitor to Bicester Gliding Centre.
Videos of gliding at Bicester:
Introduction to soaring and general flying videos from a Bicester member and look at the airfield!
Bicester Airfield has been an active airfield for over 80 years - one of
Oxfordshire's very first airfields!
Gliding started here in 1956 with Windrushers Gliding Club and has continued
Our club fleet of gliders includes two-seater gliders with dual controls
for training beginners (all lessons are with qualified gliding instructors),
and single-seaters for use by those who reach solo standard. And yes, almost
everyone who takes up the sport of gliding goes solo - if you can drive
a car, you can fly a glider!
We have been awarded a grant by Sport England to help purchase a new winch. More news will be added when the winch is on site.
Update: The winch has arrived and is now in use.
We are pleased to announce that we have been accredited as a Junior Gliding
Centre by the BGA.
Two university gliding clubs are now co-located at the Bicester Gliding
Centre, while a third one sends a small number of its members here too.
Our Online shop for trial lesson purchases is the set of pages under Lessons/Courses
in the menu!